How to Know When It’s Working Against You
It’s the bread and butter of every horror movie. Our heroes don’t know who to trust. The people they thought were their friends are acting mischievous and the people they don’t know seem all the more dangerous.
Your HVAC equipment might not be a lead character in a horror movie, but it can take on many different roles. For a long time, your heater or air conditioner might have been your friend. Ever since you scheduled that AC, furnace or heat pump installation in the Thousand Palms area, your system worked whenever you needed it. And your energy bills weren’t too shabby, either. But lately, your system seems to have gone over to the dark side. It’s not reliable like it used to be. It makes mysterious noises. And when you check the bill each month, you can’t help but wonder whether your heating and cooling equipment is working with you or against you.
Not sure whether it’s your imagination or a real problem? Before calling a professional for backup, here are some telltale signs your system has been put under a spell and needs rescuing.
A Frightening, Sudden Spike in Energy Bills
From one billing statement to the next, your energy bills should remain relatively consistent. So, if you notice your energy bills have increased at an eerie rate, it means something is wrong with your system.
Bone-Chilling Temperature Differences
Is your home full of hot and cold spots? While it might be tempting to blame the ghosts this time of year, the root of the problem could be your HVAC system.
Here’s why your system could be causing noticeable temperature differences from room to room:
- The unit is too big or too small for your home.
- The air vents are blocked.
- The ductwork has holes or is improperly sealed.
- The air filter is dirty and needs to be replaced.
- … And more!
There’s no need to shiver and shake! Our expert technicians can help you identify the exact reason your system is causing these temperature fluctuations.
Banging, bubbling, hissing and humming! If your heater or AC is making noises that are unusual, loud or just plain creepy, it’s time to call a professional. While it could be something minor, such as dirt and dust, it also could be the sign of a larger issue, such as a leak or low refrigerant levels. Listen for:
- Banging or clanking: An internal part is loose, broken or knocked out of balance and is hitting the other components.
- Clicking: It’s normal to hear clicking when you turn your system on or off. But if this sound persists, there is likely a problem with the thermostat. There can also be an electrical issue, which you’ll want to have fixed immediately.
- Rattle: If you’re using the heat pump or air conditioner, check the outdoor unit to make sure sticks, branches or other debris aren’t lodged inside of it. If all is clear and the rattle remains, there’s either a loose part moving around, or your unit is on its last legs.
- Hiss: This noise means one of your valves is malfunctioning or there’s an air leak in your ductwork or vents. Either way, you’ll want to call in a professional to repair the issue and get your system working normally again.
- Screaming or high-pitched whistling: Watch out for these noises. Just like screaming indicates trouble in a horror movie, it indicates trouble with your HVAC equipment, too. If you’re still using the air conditioner, this noise can indicate a refrigerant leak. It could also mean the pressure inside of your compressor is too high. Either situation is dangerous. If you hear any sort of loud, high-pitched whistling sound, turn off the unit immediately and call us to have one of our technicians take a look.
Call Timo’s to Break the Spell
Sometimes it feels like our heaters and air conditioners have a mind of their own. If you notice something out of the ordinary, don’t hesitate to give us a call. Far too often, people hope the problem will go away on its own—but that’s just not how it works.
Our NATE-certified technicians are here to make your home feel cozy this winter. Whether that means repairing your heater or eliminating hot and cold spots by adding attic insulation in Palm Desert or wherever you call home, we’re here and ready to help. To get started, conveniently schedule service online or give us a call at 760.475.9542 today.